Thursday, June 13, 2024

 MAYBERRY CAMPGROUND, MT AIRY, NC.  Yesterday, Wednesday, we visited the local downtown tribute to Mayberry, Main Street.  We have been there before, as can be seen from entries here last year.  I once again was in need of a haircut, so it was off to Floyd's  Barbershop.

One steps back in time there.  Only baby-boomers could understand what I mean.  Going to the barbershop in the 1950s comes to mind as one looks at the images posted on the walls.  The photo below reminds us of how American men wore their hair in those days.


Betty got the following wide shot of the interior of the barbershop.  The four walls are covered in images of various kinds, shapes, and sizes.  People stop in from around the country to reminisce with the barber about bygone days.  One leaves the shop almost disoriented after spending much time here.

Betty likewise got the before-and-after shots of me in the barber chair.

I Really Needed a Haircut

Betty got the following "after" shot of me by getting up close.  Note her reflection in the mirror bottom left.

Here Is My "After" Shot

It is at times like this that I get a fairly good look at myself and wonder who that guy is.  Especially since I have my glasses off.

After leaving the barbershop to stroll Main Street, we stopped off at one of their many ice cream shops.  The one we picked this time had walls covered in old posters.  They had some hawking their moonshine ice cream (made with real moonshine, they said).  I shot an image of one area of the walls (see below).  I skipped the ones that were rather risqué.  Click on image to enlarge.


We spent the remainder of the afternoon visiting the many shops along the street.  Many souvenir shops and, as usual, we picked up a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment