Saturday, June 17, 2023

MT AIRY, NC.  Today is Saturday.  Yesterday I went into Mt Airy to get a haircut at Floyd's Barbershop.  Yes, the one that was on the Andy Griffith Show years ago.  The son of the actor who played Floyd is usually there, but had to leave early due to illness.  I had talked to him on the phone earlier that day.  The barber handed me a photo of Floyd's son so that I could take a snapshot of it (see below).  The licensed barber who cut my hair gave me one of the best haircuts I have ever gotten.  Really!

Photo of Floyd's Son with a Child in a Small Barber's Chair

While I waited my turn, one of the locals was getting a haircut when a Barney Fife impersonator came in to "arrest him for being a chicken thief."  I got a shot of that (see below).

Barney Arrests a "Chicken Thief"
Several local senior citizens were on their way out after their haircuts, having been brought in by their children for Fathers Day.  They were brought from a nearby retirement home in wheelchairs.  

As I waited for my turn, I walked around the barbershop looking at all the photos on the wall.  Local tourists who were in town also kept walking in to take photos.  It was that kind of place.  Very patient with people and slow paced.  Took a while to get a haircut as the barber regaled you with stories of residents over the year upon whom Andy Griffith based the characters in his show.  Some of them moved to Mt Airy from California to get away from the crime over there.  

Barber Upon Whom Andy Griffith Based Floyd Character
The Christian presence in Mt Airy is amazing.  Bible verses on the wall in the businesses everywhere.  The barber shared that his favorite book of the Bible is the book of Luke.  And on it goes.

Panorama of Inside the Barbershop

Sample Shot of Barbershop Wall

Another Sample Shot

Yours Truly Getting His Hair Cut
After I got my haircut, we went next door to The Snappy Lunch, where they serve the famous pork chop sandwich.  We each ordered one of those pork chop sandwiches, with a little trepidation, since ever since pork chops were forced to be "healthy," they have lost all flavor and are tough as a doormat.  To our amazement and great pleasure, the sandwiches were great!

Snappy Lunch Shop Next Door

Can't Argue with the Prices

The Sandwich

Doesn't Even Look Like a Pork Chop

After One Bite You Are Won Over

Served With a Drink and a Bag of Chips.  Only $5
They run the boneless pork chops through a tenderizer, much like hammering them.  We plan to hammer our next pork chops to see how it goes.

While we were at the Snappy Lunch, we sang Happy Birthday to a lady who was celebrating her 103rd birthday.  Her children brought her here as her choice of a place to celebrate it.

After our sandwich we headed for dessert at the local Whit's.

And Now for Dessert at Whit's
Note above the reference to "His Mercies Are New Every Morning," and below it is "Put on the FULL ARMOR OF GOD."

After dessert, we headed for the Mt Airy Museum of Regional History.  This is aptly named, since once you leave the first floor, the items are mostly of interest to locals.  The following were on the first floor.

Historic Frontier Cabin in Poor Light
Frontier Barter Rates
Daniel Boone lived in this area in the 18th century braving the elements, hunting, building cabins, etc.  Someone once asked him if he had ever gotten lost.  He replied, "No, I can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days."  I have been so bewildered myself a few times, but thankfully not for three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment