Tuesday, July 16, 2019

FAIRBANKS, AK (Day 3).  Spent the day doing laundry and running errands.  Nice to have free time.  It rained today, but only lightly. One of the errands I ran was to the local Verison store to find out why my connectivity is so bad.  Turns out the St Augustine store set me up with a mediocre plan, which ran OK in Florida, but out here is terrible.  I have upgraded, but it will not take effect for two days.  The lady I talked to there is a native Alaskan.  She said that what I had heard for years about heavy rains here this time of year used to be true, but "global warming" has reduced the the rain and snow and raised the temperatures.  (Also heard this in the Yukon).  This is why it is so hot and dry here now, with lightening-induced fires that they never used to have.  This is the cause of the bad light and poor air breathe-ability.  The drug stores are sold out of dust masks.  I guess I waited too long to come here.  We actually brought rain parkas and rain boots which we have not worn in Alaska so far.

Yesterday, while at Walgreens, we both got our second shingles shot.  Again we have sore shoulders, but Betty is having a general worn-out-and-achy-feeling reaction.  Has been in bed most of the day.  Please pray that she can shake it off quickly.

Tomorrow is another free day.  I have not been able to get new CPAP supplies because Procare bought out all Apria business in the state five years ago.  They require your doctor to FAX them an Rx to do anything.  I have repeatedly called the doctor, but get only a recording and no reply.  I feel like I am back in Canada.  Actually, once you leave the lower 48, you are in a foreign domain.

Last night after 11 pm I went outside to empty trash in the campground dumpster, and a lady with our tour group was walking her dog.  We talked about how we are not getting enough sleep due to going to bed late because we never sense that it is night time.  It is so light until 3 am.  I took a photo with my phone of what it looks like after 11 pm (see below).

Campground after 11 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment